On November 22 at the Easley Rotary Club, Sid Collins was presented the Frank Ashley Award from the Highpointer’s Club of the United States. This award recognizes the contribution of a club member to the improvement of the highest point of that member’s state. Sid Collins was one of two people recognized in the U.S. in 2011 for this achievement.
Sid was an active volunteer of the committee to improve the highest point in South Carolina – Sassafras Mountain (3533’) Pickens County. Improvements made were:
- Repaved of Van Clayton highway to better access the mountain.
- Addition of signage to Sassafras Mountain along Hwy 11 and 178.
- Building of overlook by the Department of Natural Resources.
- Removal of old cell tower by Duke Energy at the summit.
- Landscaping and fencing of new cell tower of Duke Energy.
- Building of Kiosk in parking lot by Duke Energy
- Writeup of history and geological significance of Sassafras Mt.
- Resurvey of top to determine exact location.
- Monthly cleanup of the summit by County of Pickens.