Cooking out on Memorial Day fires up the grilling season in South Carolina.
But no one wants their backyard barbecue to be a snooze fest, so here are the Top 10 things that will help to make your bash the best ever!
1. Set a time of when the fun starts and when it will end, after all you do have to work on Tuesday.
2. Plan the menu. Our poll at the bottom could help you decide what meat to throw on the grill.
3. Invite all of your cool friends who love a last-minute option as much as you do and ask them to bring a dish. Be sure to spread those dishes out between appetizers, salads, sides and desserts.
4. Look for recipes. Here are some fun options for a Memorial Day Party Foods from Mom.me. You can find others on Food Network, and don't forget those who prefer vegetarian options.
5. Music sets the mood for any festive affair — Top 10 Memorial Day Songs recommended by Taste of Country. And yes, Lee Greenwood is on there! But if some of these are too heavy or if you are beginning to feel a little depressed, check out About.com's 100 Best Party Songs of All Time.
6. Use earth-friendly paper products for the party. This will allow you to spend more time with your guests and less time washing dishes. Most grocery stores carry at least one brand of these products.
7. Games. If you are opening the event up to the little people in your life or the lives of those you love, find ways to entertain them. Horeshoes, dodgeball, kickball, hide and seek, freeze tag or Simon Says will keep them entertained for hours or at least until the hot dogs are ready.
8. Chilling the drinks. Coolers are always too small for a party! Buy a cheap plastic kiddie pool, some ice and viola! It's the perfect place to ice down soft drinks, juice, Kool-Aid and adult beverages.
9. Decorate with Red, White and Blue. If you have to buy items, remember you can reuse them on the Fourth of July! had lots of items to choose from on Friday.
10. Plan for pests and heat. Let's face it folks we live in the south, where the state bird should be the mosquito and the sun will bake you to a crisp. Pack a basket with bug repellants, sunscreens and hand sanitizers.
Enjoy the party and time with friends and family!
Remember to vote in the poll below on your favorite item to throw on the grill!