Though it’s a little cooler than it has been lately, the summer heat is far from over, and with heat comes the danger of fires starting from common household items.
Easley Fire Chief Butch Womack says the Fire Department has some recommendations when it comes to store oily rags.
“Our recommendation is that you store any type of rags with gas or on oil on them in a ventilated container in a ventilated area,” Womack said. “Lay them out and let them dry first, don’t just wad them up.
Don’t store your gas or petrol products in a closed-up area either, he said.
“They’re going to expand in the heat,” Womack said.
That expansion could cause the gas to leak out or a build up of vapors, creating a fire hazard, so make sure you’re storing your fuel in proper containers.
Womack said people should monitor their propane tanks, such as the ones attached to grills.
“A lot of times in the heat, the pop off valve will expand and open up, which is exactly what it’s designed to do under pressure,” Womack said. “You’ll go to cook out and you won’t have any gas. This happens especially if the sun is beaming down on the tank, it expands that gas inside.
Sawdust and mulch can also ignite in high heat, he said.
“Sawdust is about the worst one, it’s real bad for spontaneous combustion,” Womack said.
He said sawdust, whether used in a garden or in refinishing floors, should be spread out as soon as possible.
“Spread it out in an area that’s going to get plenty of oxygen to keep it cool,” Womack said.