Kindergarteners, first and second graders at Crosswell were excited about eating healthy.
They could answer questions such as "can you name a green vegetable?" or "how about an orange one?" without even thinking for more than a few seconds.
In addition to eating healthy, they also knew they had to get exercise and that it had to be daily.
While chocolate milk still rules as the No. 1 preferred item on the lunch list, there's a few peas and carrots being slipped onto their lunch trays. And, they are OK with eating them!
On Tuesday, 25 schools in the School District of Pickens County were honored with bronze awards in the HealthierUS School Challenge program.
The HealthierUS School Challenge is a voluntary national certification initiative for schools participating in the National School Lunch Program. Sponsored by the USDA Food and Nutrition Services, the initiative encourages all schools to take a leadership role in helping students make healthier eating and physical activity choices that will last throughout their lives.
Pickens County ranks second in the state for the most schools recognized with the award, finishing behind Beaufort County which has 29 schools in the program.
The impact was felt as dozens of students yelled out answers to questions, enthusiastically cheered, "Eat smart, play hard."
The following schools, principals and cafeteria managers were recognized:
- Ambler Elementary School • Carlton Lewis, Principal • Kathy Sexton, Manager
- Central Elementary School • Jamie Spinks, Principal • Kim Wilson, Manager
- Clemson Elementary School • Ken Weichel, Principal • Pam Haselton, Manager
- Crosswell Elementary School • Traci Boyles, Principal • Theresa Mobley, Manager
- Dacusville Elementary School • Michael Fleming, Principal • Tonya Perry, Manager
- Dacusville Middle School • Andy Hooker, Assistant Principal • Jenaffer Pitt, Interim Manager
- Daniel High School • Sharon Huff, Principal • Sherri McManis, Manager
- Easley High School • Tim Mullis, Principal • Patricia Melton, Manager
- East End Elementary School • Tammy Day, Principal • Susie Thomas, Manager
- Edwards Middle School • Gary Culler, Principal • Sara Lindsay, Manager
- Forest Acres Elementary School • Darian Byrd, Principal • Pam Smith, Manager
- Gettys Middle School • Michael Cory, Principal • Diane Aiken, Manager
- Hagood Elementary School • Karen Jackson, Principal • Wanda Stamey, Manager
- Holly Springs Elementary School • Donna Harden, Principal • Wanda Lance, Manager
- Lewis Elementary School • Thomas Polidor, Principal • Diann Reece, Manager
- Liberty Elementary School • Lowell Haynes, Principal • Crysti Pilgrim, Manager
- Liberty High School • Lori Gwinn, Principal • Sandra Moore, Manager
- Liberty Middle School • Donivan Edwards, Principal • Amanda Anderson, Manager
- McKissick Elementary School • Stephanie Price, Principal • Pam Haynie, Manager
- Pickens Elementary School • Del Freitag, Principal • Tammy Cassell, Manager
- Pickens High School • Marion Lawson, Principal • Dianne Hamilton, Manager
- Pickens Middle School • Libba Floyd, Principal • Shelley Searcy, Interim Manager
- Simpson Alternative Center for Education • Reggia Stapleton, Director • Beth Gray, Manager
- Six Mile Elementary School • Clif Alexander, Principal • Deborah Young, Manager
- West End Elementary School • Angie Rodgers, Principal • Susan Gamble, Manager.